Food Allergens – Your Business, Your Responsibility
It has been remarkable and sad the fresh emphasis on Food Allergen Control this month.
The high profile Pret a Manger case where a young girl died from a sesame seed contaminated baguette to the jailing of the Owner and Take Away Manager of Royal Spice for delivering a dish without nuts declared, where another woman died from a severe reaction.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland has heavily invested in a campaign on Allergen Management. Do expect your Inspector to focus on Allergen Declaration now!
1. All allergens are declared on the Menu or within your Allergen Folder. Please refer to the Allergen Folder on your Menu. Have it freely available not in the office! Use signage also. Please see below for a Sample Allergen Template
2. Or if you can avoid using certain allergic ingredients- please do so. Gluten, sesame, milk….
3. Place nuts, flour, seeds etc separately from other foods in covered containers on lower shelves.
4. Train your staff on Allergen Control. This is part of all HACCP Training today.
5. Communicate with your customers. Always tell the truth- never guess. They will thank you!
6. If there is a possibility of cross contamination, please declare it. E.g. One fryer is used for fish and shellfish
Should you require further information, please contact us on 021 4355917 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our experienced team would be delighted to assist you.