Who should attend?
PHECC First Aid Responder Refresher is intended for certified First Aiders who wish to keep up with developments in First Aid practice and to refresh skills that may be only occasionally used.
Aims and objectives
On completion of this PHECC First Aid Responder Refresher course participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate practical First Aid skills to Occupational First Aider standard.
- Explain new developments in First Aid.
On successful completion of PHECC First Aid Responder Refresherparticipants will receive a Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) First Aid Response Certificate which is valid for 2 years.
- Chain of Survival / Scene Safety / Responsibilities of First Aider
- Examination of unconscious casualty – Recovery position
- Resuscitation – Practical Demonstration and Class Practice
- Asphyxia / Heart attack / Approach and Treatment
- Bleeding and Wounds
- Control of bleeding & wounds including amputation – Wounds with a foreign body – Internal bleeding
- Assessment of fractures and appropriate treatment
- Examination of the eye -treatment of foreign bodies and chemical splashes in the eye; Burns and scalds;
- Poisoning – causes and treatment; Epilepsy; Asthma; Crush injuries – approach and treatment.
- Methods of Training
- This course utilises a range of practical tasks and assessment to ensure participants meet the standard required
Appraisal of delegates’ knowledge and performance will be made through a written theory test and practical test
Duration: 2 days
Maximum number of delegates: 8 persons
Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC)
Maintenance of QQI (FETAC) Certification or PHECC First Aid Response (valid for 2 years)
Pre-Course Requirements – Valid QQI (FETAC) Occupational First Aid Course or 3 day PHECC First Aid Response